Braces For Children
Early orthodontic treatments can identify potential dental problems.
At Straight Talk Orthodontics, we understand the importance of early orthodontic work for children, and we always ensure that the process is both comfortable and safe for them.
We believe that all children should see an orthodontist before they reach either 7 or 8 years of age, this is because there is sufficient jaw growth and enough permanent teeth have come in at this stage to correctly identify dental problems.
Early treatment can help us to identify potential dental problems before more drastic measures need to be taken, and in some cases, the desired results are not possible once the face and jaws have finished growing. This means that early treatment can prevent years of potential embarrassment for children.
Early orthodontic treatments can help to:
- Ensure incoming teeth are optimally positioned
- Regulate jaw width
- Create a better environment for new permanent teeth by guiding the growth of young jaw bones
- Prevent trauma to prominent front teeth
- Stop damaging sucking habits
- Lower the risk of teeth becoming impacted or stuck under the gums
If you are worried that your child may need an early orthodontic treatment, some of the signs to keep an eye out for are:
- Either early or late loss of primary teeth
- Crowding and blocking out of teeth
- Jaws that make noise or shift
- Teeth that do not meet when biting
- Use of a pacifier or finger sucking past six years of age
- Biting of the cheek or the roof of the mouth
- Having jaws and/ or teeth that are disproportionate to the rest of the face
If you are interested in booking your child in for an appointment with Straight Talk Orthodontics, you can complete the contact form to the right and we will get in touch with you as soon as we can.